3 SIMPLE & BALANCED BREAKFAST RECIPES
School bells and the beginning of the workday can creep up fast in the morning and often sacrificed is a healthy breakfast. Don’t let the foundation of your day get set on a handful of cereal and hopes for an early lunch. Here are 3 simple and balanced recipes that you can prepare ahead of time to ensure your family has a great start to their day!
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- In a bowl beat 12 eggs, salt and pepper
- Add ½ shredded cheddar cheese, ¼ cup chopped green pepper, ½ cup onion, ½ cup precooked bacon
- Coat muffin tin with cooking spray
- Bake 20 - 25 minutes, until a knife inserted in center comes out clean
Substitutions: Replace half of the eggs for egg whites. Try different combos of added ingredients such as broccoli and cheddar, cooked sausage, turkey and cilantro, mozzarella, basil, and tomato etc…
Note: Do not be alarmed if you see excess liquid on the bottom of your storage container, it’s from the veggies!
Prep in freezer zip lock or container and freeze:
- 2 heaping handfuls of spinach (substitute with kale or broccoli)
- ½ cup of blueberries
- ½ chopped banana
- ½ cup of strawberries (substitute with pineapple, mango, or raspberries)
- Remove 1 bag from freezer
- Add ½ cup of plain greek yogurt
- Add ½ cup of milk or choice or water
- Add protein powder (optional)
- Blend & Enjoy!
LEMON OVERNIGHT OATS:
Mix ingredients in container and keep in refrigerator overnight and up to 3 days:
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup milk of your choice
- ½ cup pain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp vanilla protein powder (optional)
*Sprinkle in some chocolate chips for an extra special treat
Time is precious and so is our family’s health. While we can’t control everything, we can control how we fuel up. Eat healthy, move your body and be kind!
As seen in Daniel Island Life Magazine, Sept 2017. By Megan Pawlowski